Aloo curry for puri | Potato masala recipe
Aloo curry is a classic and one of the most liked breakfast combos in any part of India. The South Indian version of aloo curry for puri is made with a lot of onions and the gravy is thick and creamy with the addition of besan/chickpea flour.
During childhood, this was a Sunday or Holiday special breakfast. As weekdays morning time is busy, Mom would reserve this combo for the weekends.
To enjoy the mildly spiced potato masala, I dunk crisp, puffed fried puri in the curry and savor every bite!
About Aloo curry for puri
In a South Indian restaurant, puri is one of the most ordered breakfast items. Mainly for perfectly puffed puri and aloo curry. The combo is commonly served at homes, roadside tiffin bandi/carts, and tiffin centers across South Indian.
This recipe is made with basic ingredients and packed with South Indian flavors. Though it is a very basic dish, it tastes delicious.
With all the ingredients ready, the dish can be made within 10-15mins.
Do try this amazing combo of puri and mildly spiced potato masala. You can also try a variation of Potato Masala without besan.
Aloo curry for puri
- 3 Big Potatoes (boiled and peeled)
- 1 Big Onion (thickly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Carrot and Green peas (optional)
- 2 tbspn Oil
- 1 tbspn Chana dal
- 1/2 tbspn Udad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tspn Cumin seeds
- 4-6 Green chilies (roughly chopped or slit)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Dry red chilies
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 1/2 tspn Turmeric powder
- 1 tbspn Besan/Chickpea flour
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- Boil or Pressure cook the potatoes till done. Remove the skin and mash them roughly.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. When hot, add chana dal, udad dal mustard seeds and cumin seeds. On medium flame, fry till dals starts to change color.
- Next, add slit or chopped green chillies, curry leaves, dry red chillies and hing. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the sliced onions, chopped carrot, and green poeas and saute till translucent.
- Now, add turmeric powder and salt. Saute for few seconds.
- Now, add mashed potatoes and mix well. Saute for about 2-3mins.
- Add water and give a good mix. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, take besan in a small bowl and add water. Make it to smooth paste.
- Once the aloo masala is cooked for 5 minutes, add the besan paste and mix well. Adjust the water according to your desired consistency.
- Besan paste will thicken the curry. Allow the masala to cook for a couple of minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Lastly, add chopped coriander leaves.