Aloo Gobhi Matar masala – Without Tomato
Aloo Gobhi Matar masala is a semi gravy dish made with potatoes, cauliflower, and green peas. These vegetables are among the most loved vegetables in North India. This is one of the dishes which makes us feel, homemade food is soulful.
Winter is the season, I do not miss making this veggie combination. Local markets are flooded with cauliflower of different sizes, new potatoes which are not sweet, and fresh green peas.
About the recipe
Indian cooking is versatile, so every home has its own version to make this dish. Over the years have seen variations which include — deep fry the vegetables and add to the masalas, pressure cook, make them in onion-tomato gravy.
Pressure cooking the vegetables saves time, but I do not prefer it. Personally, I like to saute/stir fry the vegetables in oil. Sear for vegetables tastes better compared to pressure cooking.
Today I will share my mother’s style of cooking this dish. When it comes to cooking, she does not have any hard and fast rules and yet creates delicious dishes within minutes.
With the same recipe, you can make different combinations — aloo gobhi, aloo matar, gobhi matar, aloo masala, gobhi masala, or matar masala.
Even without tomato, the vegetables are coated with delicious masala around them. This masala recipe is unique, simple, quick to make. All you need is simple tadka/tempering, onions, ginger garlic paste, and dry spice powders. As it gets ready within 20 minutes, it is apt
In lunch box for kids or working professionals.
Days when you do not want to spend a long time in the kitchen.
Lunch or Dinner.
How to wash Cauliflower
Cauliflower is one of the vegetables which need proper cleaning before using them. The main reason, worms hide in the florets which are not clearly visible. Also, vegetables are sprayed with different types of chemicals and insecticides to protect them from worms and insects. Options to wash vegetables are;
Soak vegetables into a solution of vinegar and water for 30 mins.
Soak vegetables in salty water for some time. Rinse well to get off the salt.
For cauliflower, first I separate it from the stem. Cut into florets. Soak them in a bowl of water and turmeric powder (1–2tsp). Keep it for 15–20mins. Drain the water and rinse the florets, they are ready to use in any recipes.
It tastes great with naan, phulkas, rotis, plain parathas, puris, steamed rice and dal, Vegetable Pulao or jeera rice. I also like to eat with curd rice because of the masala.
If there is leftover, I place it between bread slices and have it as a sandwich. And, to add taste to a sandwich, I pan toast or grill the sandwich.
Also, you can place the sabzi in a roti, grate cheese on it to make a cheesy kathi roll. This is the best way to make kids eat vegetables.
Aloo Gobhi Matar masala
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 tbspn Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Potato (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup Gobhi/Cauliflower (cut into medium size florets)
- 1/2 cup Green Peas (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Chicken masalaor Pav bhaji masala or Chole masala or Meat masala or Kitchen king masala
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan/kadhai.
- When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Next add chopped onion and fry till light golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes away.
- Turn the flame to low and add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, salt, chicken masala or any other mentioned in the ingredients. Saute untill the spices are aromatic.
- Add the vegetables and saute for a min or two. Keep stiring at regular intervals to avoid masala sticking to the bottom.
- Turn the flame to high, add water and let it come to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame till vegetables are cooked. Will take 10-15minutes.
- Check for water content, to reduce, cook on high flame till water evaporates.
- Add garam masala and give a good mix.
- Lastly, add coriander leaves.