Extra Crispy Potato Sandwich recipe on tawa | Aloo Sandwich
Potato Sandwich recipe is a super easy-to-make breakfast option that can be made in a jiffy. Potato Sandwich is a vegetarian sandwich that is stuffed with spiced potato mash and then toasted.
Who does not love a sandwich, especially, if it has potatoes in it? It is a great alternative to the time-consuming traditional Indian breakfasts like aloo paratha, idli, dosa, poha, sabudana khichdi, uttapam, etc.
Growing up in Mumbai, I’ve eaten a lot of sandwiches – basic/regular Bombay sandwich (non-toasted), Veg grilled sandwich, Cheese grilled sandwich, Bombay Masala Toast sandwich and the list is endless.
According to me, the best place to get a good sandwich is at the stalls located outside colleges. No matter which stall you end up visiting, the quality and taste are pretty much the same.
What do I love about making a Sandwich? The simplicity of a sandwich is that you can slap any filling between two slices of bread and call it a day. The ingredients are easily available in an Indian pantry and you can experiment with the ingredients.
Today I’m sharing a potato sandwich recipe that does not need a sandwich toaster or grill pan/machine. This recipe with tips will help you make an ultra crispy sandwich.
What is Potato Sandwich (Aloo Sandwich)?
Potato Sandwich is an Indian sandwich variety with a spiced potato filling. This sandwich is also known by other names such as aloo sandwich or aloo masala sandwich.
Potato sandwich is one of the quintessential Mumbai dishes that’s made it’s way from the streets to cafes, pubs, fine dining restaurants, school, college, and office canteens.
There are so many variations of sandwich one can make. Potato Sandwich is one of my all-time favorites that is filled with the goodness of boiled potatoes and is quick to make.
Over time, the humble sandwich has got a gourmet upgrade. Now, the city has more than 100 iterations of the humble snack.
Difference between Potato Sandwich and Bombay Masala Toast Sandwich?
In a potato sandwich recipe, spiced potato stuffing is layered between bread slices and then toasted.
While making Bombay masala toast sandwich, bread slices are spread with butter and spicy green chutney. The potato mixture is topped with a layer of vegetables – onion, cucumber, tomato, capsicum, and boiled beetroot. Then it is grilled.
In short, Potato Sandwich is a simpler version of Bombay Masala Toast Sandwich.
About Potato Sandwich Recipe
Potato Sandwich Recipe is super simple. Just mix a set of ingredients, spread it in between two pieces of bread, and toast it. The scrumptious sandwich is ready to relish.
What makes my Potato Sandwich recipe different is the yellow-hued spicy potato filling, similar to what you would find in a batata vada.
The filling offers all the comfort of mashed potatoes, spiced with ginger, garlic, and green chilies and laced with flavors of Indian spices. The basic Indian spices and boiled potatoes will complement each other in both flavor and texture.
The sandwich tastes the best when contrasted with slightly sweet, spicy, and salty flavors. The coarse paste of ginger, garlic, and green chilies is bright and bracing in contrast, perking up each bite. A melting blanket of cheese brings it all together.
Most sandwichwallas mash potatoes as it is easy to spread on the bread. But, I go for a semi-mash which is similar to aloo masala made to go with dosas.
There are two ways can make the aloo stuffing for spiced potato sandwiches;
1. No cook potato stuffing other than boiling potatoes: Add all the powdered spices, chopped green chilies, grated ginger, coriander leaves, lemon juice, and salt, to the mashed boiled potatoes.
2. Temper the boiled and mashed potatoes: Saute the onions along with spices in little oil and then add the mashed boiled potatoes.
In this recipe, I have followed 2nd method.
Toast this famed spiced potato filling sandwich and its name changes to Toasted Potato Sandwich.
If you are making sandwiches for a party or get-together, you can make the stuffing a day ahead, cool it, and refrigerate the stuffing. You will need only 5 minutes to assemble and toast the sandwiches.
Do give this Potato Sandwich recipe a try for your breakfast or snack. I guarantee your kids will cherish every bite of this yummy sandwich.
Reasons to make
Easy to make
Gets ready in no time
Kids friendly. Treat your kids with this sandwich as an after-school snack.
Great for parties, get-togethers, or guests.
Ideal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Great finger food as well as travel food.
I’ve amassed some tips for making a perfectly toasted sandwich on tawa;
The potatoes should be perfectly boiled. If the potatoes are over-boiled or mushy, the moisture content will make the sandwiches soggy. You can check my aloo paratha recipe for tips on how to boil potatoes perfectly.
Do not overload the aloo filling with spices. Personally, I believe that too many spices take away the simple brilliance of the aloo stuffing.
Make sure the butter is at room temperature. So that it is easy to spread.
Cook/toast the sandwich on low flame to get the crisp texture.
Spread butter generously. It not only adds buttery flavor but also makes the sandwich crispier.
To make a vegan version of a potato sandwich, replace butter with margarine or oil. Also, either skip the cheese completely or use a vegan melting cheese.
Potato: You can use any variety of potatoes to make this sandwich.
Vegetables: I like to add crunchy veggies like an onion. You can add more veggies like carrots, green peas, bell peppers/capsicum, broccoli, and sweet corn.
Bread: I will recommend using White/Sandwich Bread. They taste the best for any sandwich. You can use any other bread of choices such as Brown Bread, Multigrain Bread, or even Whole Wheat Bread.
Fat: Oil and Butter. Oil is used to make the potato filling and butter is used to toast the sandwich.
Spices & Aromatics: mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilies, red chili powder, garam masala, chat masala, and salt.
Feel free to use spices of your choice to flavor the filling.
Sauce mix: Tomato ketchup and red chili sauce. I sometimes like to mix mayo and cream cheese.
You can replace plain mayo with flavored mayonnaise such as chipotle mayo, tandoori mayo, sriracha mayo, or mint mayo to elevate the taste.
Herbs: Coriander leaves.
Cheese: I’ve used Amul cheese slices. You can use any cheese of your choice from processed cheese, or mozzarella cheese, to the high-end stuff. You can also mix different cheeses and then use them.
Secret to Extra Crispy Sandwich
Bread slices have moisture in them. We need to get rid of it or reduce it to get a crispier texture.
To make an extra crispy sandwich, we will double toast the bread. This technique was inspired by the double frying method followed for snack items to obtain a crispier texture.
Try this, the sandwich will be crisp till the last bite.
How to make Aloo Sandwich
Step 1: Make the Potato stuffing
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame. When hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Next, add chopped onion and saute until they turn soft.
2. Add crushed green chilies, ginger, and garlic. Saute on low flame until the raw smell goes away.
3. Add turmeric powder and saute for a few seconds.
4. Add boiled and mashed potatoes.
5. Mix well and saute the mixture on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the spices – red chili powder, garam masala, chat masala, and salt.
7. Add the coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the flame.
8. Transfer the aloo mixture to a bowl and keep aside to cool.
Step 2: Make the Potato Sandwich
Heat a pan over medium flame. Place the bread slices on the pan.
Apply little butter and lightly fry the bread slices on both sides. Remove them onto a plate.
Spread a thick layer of potato mixture evenly. To make a spicy version, spread a sauce mix (tomato ketchup and red chili sauce).
Place a cheese slice. If using mozzarella or processed cheese, grated it and spread evenly over the potato mixture.
Apply butter generously all over the bread.
Place the sandwich with the butter side down on the pan.
Press gently with the spatula all over the sandwich to get the perfect crispy texture. Cook on low flame until the bottom layer is crisp and brown.
Spread butter on the top side. Turn the sandwich upside down.
Continue to cook on low flame until both sides are nicely browned and crisp.
Toasted Potato Sandwich is ready. Serve it hot or warm along with a dipping sauce.
Serve this aloo sandwich hot or warm along with any dipping sauce. You can serve sandwiches for breakfast or an evening snack with a cup of chai.
I even make these for dinner when the stomach craves something light and easy.
For kids, you can serve with tomato ketchup and chips, french fries, or potato wedges on the side.
Sandwich is best to eat when fresh as they remain crispy when hot. If kept for a long, the bread will lose its crispiness, and sauces will make them soft and soggy.
Instead, you can make the potato filling and store it in the fridge. Store it separately in an airtight container and refrigerate for 1-2 days. All you need to do is assemble the sandwich and toast it until crusty.
There are so many variations of sandwich one can make.
You can place thin slices of onion, tomatoes, cucumber, and capsicum over the potato stuffing before toasting on the tawa.
Can apply a layer of butter on one bread slice and green chutney on another slice.
Grill the sandwich on a grill pan or sandwich maker.
If you’ve tried this Extra Crispy Potato Sandwich recipe, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Also, please share the recipes with your friends and family members.
You can also follow me on Instagram to see what’s latest in my kitchen!
Extra Crispy Potato Sandwich recipe on tawa | Aloo Sandwich
For Potato Filling
- 3-4 medium size Boiled Potatoes (boiled, peeled, and mashed)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 numbers Green chilies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2-4 cloves Garlic
- 1 small Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Chat masala
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp Coriander leaves
For Potato Sandwich
- 8-10 Bread slices
- Butter (for toasting)
- 3-4 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 3-4 tbsp Red chili sauce
- 4 numbers Cheese slices
To make Potato Stuffing
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame. When hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Next, add chopped onion and saute until they turn soft.
- Add crushed green chilies, ginger, and garlic. Saute on low flame until the raw smell goes away.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for a few seconds.
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes. Mix well and saute the mixture on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spices – red chili powder, garam masala, chat masala, and salt.
- Add the coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the flame.
- Transfer the aloo mixture to a bowl and keep aside to cool.
To make the Potato Sandwich
- Heat a pan over medium flame. Place the bread slices on the pan.
- Apply little butter and lightly fry the bread slices on both sides. Remove them onto a plate.
- Spread a thick layer of potato mixture evenly. To make a spicy version, spread a sauce mix (tomato ketchup and red chili sauce).
- Place a cheese slice. If using mozzarella or processed cheese, grated it and spread evenly over the potato mixture.
- Apply butter generously all over the bread.
- Place the sandwich with the butter side down on the pan.
- Press gently with the spatula all over the sandwich to get the perfect crispy texture. Cook on low flame until the bottom layer is crisp and brown.
- Spread butter on the top side. Turn the sandwich upside down.
- Continue to cook on low flame until both sides are nicely browned and crisp.
- Toasted Potato Sandwich is ready. Serve it hot or warm along with a dipping sauce.
Cook With San is all about making “Everyday Yummylicious” with easy, quick, and restaurant-style recipes.
5 thoughts on “Extra Crispy Potato Sandwich recipe on tawa | Aloo Sandwich”