Delicious Mix veg curry | Restaurant style at home
Mix Veg curry, is one of the most ordered North Indian items in restaurants. So, what makes this dish special? It is a combination of vegetables cooked in a spicy, creamy, and delicious gravy. This makes perfect a side dish for any Indian bread or rice variety.
Today I will share a detailed, step-wise picture recipe of restaurant-style mixed veg gravy that is easy to make and finger-licking delicious.
What is Mix Veg curry?
Mix veg or Mixed veg curry, is a common item in almost all Indian restaurants. It is made by cooking vegetables together in onion-tomato gravy and selected spices that make the dish flavorful and delicious.
Usually, at a restaurant, the vegetables used are; Carrot, French Beans, Cauliflower, and Green Peas.
But, at home, it’s the best way to clear the leftover vegetables in the house. You can choose veggies of your choice. It can include vegetables like capsicum, cabbage, sweet corn, baby corn, mushroom, and potato.
About this recipe
We all know that restaurant-style uses more oil butter and cream to make it look appealing and thicken the gravy. Few restaurants also add color to brighten the color.
At a restaurant, Mix veg curry is served within 5-10 mins. The reason being, the parboiled or fried vegetables are tossed in gravies that are made in advance.
Need not worry, this post is not about making base gravies. Instead, it’s about making restaurant-style just using one pot.
This recipe came together one day just like that by chance. My elder brother gave us a surprise visit. Recently he turned vegetarian and I only had the option to make a veg dish. So, tried an experiment with leftover vegetables from the fridge.
When the dish was tasted by family members, they were blown away by the taste which was similar to a restaurant.
After that, Mix Veg curry is one of the most demanded dishes at home.
Though it’s a repetitive dish at home, I make few changes in spice powders to give a distinct flavor each time.
I’ve simplified and made the recipe easy for you. I did not use butter and cream in this recipe, you can add both to make it tastier. All you need is a pot or kadhai, some fresh or frozen veggies, a few spice powders, and some patience.
Ingredients to make Mix Veg curry
Vegetables: The options are; Cauliflower, Carrot, Beans, Capsicum, Potato, Peas, Cabbage, Sweet corn, Baby corn, Mushroom. You can also add Paneer.
Onion and Tomato: For the base gravy.
Cashews and Magaz/Watermelon seeds: The paste of these two ingredients thicken the gravy. Also, makes the gravy smooth, and creamy.
Kashmiri red chili powder: This chili powder is not spicy but adds a bright red color to Punjabi gravy.
Kitchen King Masala: This spice powder is a secret ingredient that adds flavor to the dish.
Kasuri Methi: For flavor.
Other Ingredients: Oil, Bay leaf, Cumin seeds, Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Salt, Garam Masala and Coriander leaves.
Use Bangalore tomatoes, as they are less sour compared to local tomatoes.
Be patient while frying the onions.
The base gravy of onion-tomato should be cooked well.
You can shallow the vegetables or parboil/half done. The vegetables should retain the crunch. I prefer to cook all of them together in the base gravy. It takes a little longer for vegetables to cook, but it’s worth the time.
Do not pressure cook the vegetables or overcook them.
While adding spice powders, add little water. This will prevent the masalas to burn and give a nice color to the gravy.
Cook on low flame until oil floats on the top.
The gravy thickens as it cools down. Can add little warm water to adjust the consistency.
Mixed Vegetable sabzi can be served in a Handi (round-shaped serving bowl) or in an oval-shaped bowl, mostly used in Dhabas.
Let’s see how to make mix veg curry with step-by-step pics.
Step by Step recipe
1.Soak cashews and hot water for 20-30mins. Dry roast kasuri methi on low flame for few seconds till crisp and crush between fingers.
2. Heat oil in a pot or kadai. When hot, add bay leaf and cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Next, add finely chopped onions and saute till light golden color.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away. Next, add spice powders, a little turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, kitchen king masala, coriander powder, and little water. Mix well, water will not let the masalas burn. Cook till oil separates.
4. Add tomato and cashew paste. Saute on medium flame till water evaporates and oil separates.
5. Add vegetables of choice and mix well with the masala. Continue to saute for 5-10 seconds on low to medium flame. Turn the flame to high and add water till the level of vegetables. Let it come to a boil.
Turn the flame to low, cover the pot and cook till vegetables are cooked (10-15mins).
6. Add tomato ketchup and kasuri methi powder.
7. Continue to cook on low flame till oil floats on the top. Lastly, add a pinch of garam masala and coriander leaves (missed to click the pic). Give a good mix. Mix veg curry is ready to serve.
More Vegetarian recipes for you:
If you’ve tried this Mix Veg curry recipe and it turned out as expected, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Also, please share the recipes with your friends and family members.
You can also follow me on Instagram to see what’s latest in my kitchen!
Mix veg curry | Restaurant style
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (I have used beans, cauliflower, peas and carrot)
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 nos Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Cashews + Watermelon seeds
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder (I use Everest Tikhalal)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Kasuri Methi (dry roasted and crushed to powder)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak cashews and watermelon seeds in hot water. Later, grind along with tomatoes.
- Dry roast kasuri methi on low flame for few seconds till crisp and crush between fingers.
- Heat oil in a pot or kadai. When hot, add bay leaf and cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Next, add finely chopped onions and saute till light golden color.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Turn the flame to low and add spice powders, a little turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, kitchen king masala, coriander powder, and little water. Mix well, water will not let the masalas burn. Cook till oil separates.
- Add tomato and cashew paste. Saute on medium flame till water evaporates and oil separates.
- Add salt and vegetables of choice. Mix well with the masala. Continue to saute for 5-10 seconds on low to medium flame.
- Turn the flame to high and add water till the level of vegetables. Let it come to a boil.
- Turn the flame to low, cover the pot and cook till vegetables are cooked (10-15mins).
- Add tomato ketchup and kasuri methi powder.
- Continue to cook on low flame till oil floats on the top. Lastly, add coriander leaves.
- Give a good mix. Mix Veg curry is ready to serve.