Easiest Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice Recipe
This Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice is a super simple recipe and with a few tips, you will have the same restaurant taste at home.
I got my first taste of this simple but amazingly flavorful Egg Fried Rice in one of the restaurants in Bombay (now Mumbai). The flavor of black pepper permeated the whole dish but was not overpowering.
You will find this egg-fried rice easily available in Chinese restaurants, roadside stalls, and takeaways in India.
I have always been a huge fan of Indo-Chinese rice varieties as they are simple and easy stir-fried rice recipes. I have posted quite a few fried rice variants – Schezwan Veg Fried Rice, Street style Chicken Fried Rice, Street style Egg Fried Rice, Chicken Singapore Fried Rice
I have been wanting to nail the recipe for a while, especially the long grain rice and smoky flavor. If you follow the tips and recipe, you will have the exact same taste as egg-fried rice from your favorite Chinese restaurant.
About Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice recipe
The Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice recipe is easy and quick, cooked rice is stir-fried with scrambled eggs, dice of vegetables, a few sauces, and black pepper powder.
All you need is lots of vegetables and cooked rice for making this egg-fried rice recipe. It is one of the delicious and tasty dishes of Indo-Chinese food.
I think it is one rice dish that is one of the most ordered or most packed as a takeaway from restaurants or street carts in India. But, in a few restaurants and many street joints, add MSG as a taste enhancer, which is not good for health.
At home, you have the advantage to control the quality of ingredients.
If you have rice and chopped vegetables ready, this great-tasting recipe just takes 5 minutes. Most of the time, I cook the rice a day ahead and refrigerate it.
Egg Fried Rice is not a spicy rice dish. I have added only a bit of green chili sauce, red chili sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar, just to add a depth of Asian taste.
Reasons to make
For Egg lovers
Very simple to make at home
Healthy meal for the whole family
Fiber from the veggies and protein from the eggs
Use a Chinese wok which helps in the frequent tossing of ingredients while cooking. Else you can use a non-stick pan or a wide kadhai. Use sure the cooking vessel has enough room to toss and stir.
The key to perfect fried rice is long-grain rice with each grain separate yet well cooked.
The best way to make Indo-Chinese fried rice is to use day-old rice or refrigerated for a few hours that has dried a little and has a perfect non-sticky texture.
If you are making a fresh batch of rice, check my post on How to cook basmati rice.
The authentic restaurant-style fried rice has vegetables – carrots and french beans. At home, use as much or as little vegetables as per your preference.
This egg-fried rice does not have a deep brown or red color. So, do not add sauces liberally. The quantity of sauces added is just to add enough umami flavor and not spice.
Just like restaurants do, stir-fry on high heat by stirring continuously to give the fried rice a smoky char.
Add salt at the end, as the sauces you add have salt in them.
Basmati or Long grain Rice: As it is restaurant-style, I prefer to use long-grain basmati rice for this recipe to make the dish look more elegant.
You can substitute it with short-grain rice like sona masuri. Make sure the rice grains are dry and moisture free. So that they can be easily stir-fried with sauces without breaking or turning mushy.
Eggs: The key ingredient in this recipe. There are no specific numbers of eggs, you can add as per your liking.
Vegetables: In this recipe, I added carrots and french beans.
Aromatics: Ginger, garlic, and spring onion or scallions.
Spice powder: Black pepper powder.
Sauces: Red Chili sauce, green chili sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar.
How to make Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice
Finely chop all the vegetables and cook the rice ahead of heating up the wok or kadhai.
Keep all the other ingredients ready within your reach.
Crack eggs in a bowl and beat/whisk well.
1. Heat a Chinese wok until very hot, add the oil and swirl it all around the wok. This creates a non-stick layer.
2. Add the whisked egg and let it cook for 5 to 10 seconds.
3. Scramble it. Make sure not to brown it.
4. Throw in the chopped garlic and green onions. Saute on high flame for 10 seconds.
5. Add the chopped carrots and french beans. Continue to saute for another 30 seconds making sure to retain the crunch of the vegetables.
6. Add the cooked rice. Stir the rice on high heat 2-3 times.
7. Add the red chili sauce, green chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper powder, and salt.
8. Stir fry or toss everything well to coat the rice with all the sauces and seasonings. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes, so that each rice grain is heated evenly.
8. Once it all comes together, a shower of spring onion green part. Give a good stir and it’s time to dig in! Serve Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice hot or warm.
Egg Fried Rice is pretty much a dish to eat on its own. But if you are looking to serve it up for a meal or want to serve it for a party, you can look up other Indo-Chinese side dishes – Chicken 65, Chilli Chicken, Ginger Chicken, Chinese gravy
You can refrigerate the leftover for 1-2 days in an airtight container.
Before serving, reheat it in a pan on the stovetop or in a microwave until nicely heated.
Veg Fried Rice: Just skip the egg and add more veggies like onions, bell peppers, boiled sweet corn, broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom, zucchini, green peas, etc.
Schezwan Egg Fried Rice: This variation is especially for spice lovers. Add homemade schezwan sauce or use store-bought. I recommend Chings Schezwan chutney over schezwan sauce. Add the schezwan chutney along with the other sauces and reduce or skip black pepper powder.
Chicken Fried Rice: Add cooked chicken (boiled or deep fried) when you add the veggies. Adjust (increase or decrease) the sauces to suit your taste.
Prawns Fried Rice: Add cooked prawns.
Burnt Garlic Egg Fried Rice: It is an extension of the basic Chinese Egg Fried Rice with a strong flavor of burnt garlic.
Saute finely chopped garlic until they turn golden brown and crunchy. Be careful not to burn them. Remove them on a plate and add them at the end.
When making for kids, you can reduce or skip red chili sauce and green chili sauce.
If you’ve tried this authentic Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice Recipe, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Also, please share the recipes with your friends and family members.
You can also follow me on Instagram to see what’s latest in my kitchen!
Easiest Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (cooked )
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 2-3 numbers Eggs (whisked)
- 2-3 tbsp Carrots (finely chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp French beans (finely chopped)
- 1-2 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp Red chili sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Green chili sauce
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1/2-1 tbsp Black pepper powder
- 3 tbsp Spring onion (roughly chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop all the vegetables and cook the rice ahead of heating up the wok or kadhai.
- Keep all the other ingredients ready within your reach.
- Crack eggs in a bowl and beat/whisk well.
Egg Fried Rice recipe
- Heat a Chinese wok until very hot, add the oil and swirl it all around the wok. This creates a non-stick layer.
- Add the whisked egg and let it cook for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Scramble it. Make sure not to brown it.
- Throw in the chopped garlic and green onions. Saute on high flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the chopped carrots and french beans. Continue to saute for another 30 seconds making sure to retain the crunch of the vegetables.
- Add the cooked rice. Stir the rice 2-3 times.
- Add the red chili sauce, green chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper powder, and salt.
- Stir fry or toss everything well to coat the rice with all the sauces and seasonings. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes, so that each rice grain is heated evenly.
- Once it all comes together, a shower of spring onion green part. Give a good stir and it’s time to dig in! Serve Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice hot or warm.
Cook With San is all about making “Everyday Yummylicious” with easy, quick, and restaurant-style recipes.
4 thoughts on “Easiest Restaurant style Egg Fried Rice Recipe”